Further sanctions in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
- The Hon Tim Watts MP, Assistant Minister for Foreign Affairs
Today Australia has imposed targeted sanctions on 35 entities in Russia's defence, technology and energy sectors, and 10 individuals, including Russian Ministers and senior officials, and senior military personnel in Belarus.
This action has been taken in careful coordination with our international partners to have maximum impact on those individuals and entities who play a role in directly or indirectly supporting Russia's illegal and immoral invasion of Ukraine.
The sanctions imposed today are directed at entities and individuals of economic and strategic significance to Russia, including:
- Russian companies supplying advanced technology, electronics and equipment to the Russian Armed Forces
- Russian entities involved in nuclear energy and Arctic resource extraction
- Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Belousov and Deputy Prime Minister Chernyshenko
- Major Russian defence entities, including Russia's largest producer of military helicopters and its CEO
- Senior Belarusian military officials who have threatened Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity
Australia has already taken action to impose costs on Russia and has sanctioned more than 1,100 individuals and entities supporting the invasion of Ukraine.
We again call on Russia to immediately withdraw from Ukraine and for Belarus to stop supporting Russia's senseless war.
The Australian Government steadfastly supports Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity. We stand with the people of Ukraine who continue to show extraordinary courage in the face of Russia's brutal invasion and unrelenting attacks on civilian infrastructure.
Quotes attributable to Foreign Minister Penny Wong:
“Today's sanctions underline Australia's commitment to working with partners to maintain pressure on Russia and those supporting its illegal and immoral war.”
“Australia's sanctions regime against Russia reflects our support for the people of Ukraine and for its sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
Quotes attributable to Assistant Foreign Minister Tim Watts:
“Australia stands with the people of Ukraine who continue to show extraordinary courage.”
“Australia again calls on Russia to immediately withdraw from Ukrainian territory and for Belarus to stop supporting Russia's senseless war.”
- Minister's office: (02) 6277 7500
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555