Joint Statement on the 7th anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17
- Sophie Wilmès Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Affairs and Foreign Trade, and the Federal Cultural Institutions, Belgium
- The Hon Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia
- Sigrid Kaag Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands
- Dmytro Kuleba Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ukraine
We, the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands, and Ukraine, whose countries comprise the Joint Investigation Team, today mark the seventh anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, resulting in the tragic deaths of 298 passengers and crew members. Our thoughts remain with those who perished on board, their families and loved ones.
While nothing can bring back those who lost their lives, or diminish the anguish and grief suffered by the family members, it is imperative that we remain steadfast in our commitment to pursuing truth, justice and accountability. We acknowledge the cooperation of our respective investigative agencies and reiterate our full support for their efforts to establish the truth of what happened. We also have full confidence in the independent, open and impartial criminal proceedings against the alleged perpetrators.
We reiterate our deepest sympathies and condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims of the downing of Flight MH17.
- Minister's office: (02) 6277 7500
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555