Extradition treaty with Hong Kong
- The Hon. Scott Morrison MP, Prime Minister
- Senator the Hon. Marise Payne, Minister for Foreign Affairs Minister for Women
- The Hon. Christian Porter MP, Attorney-General Minister for Industrial Relations
The Australian Government remains deeply concerned about China’s imposition of a broad national security law on Hong Kong.
The National Security Law erodes the democratic principles that have underpinned Hong Kong’s society and the One Country, Two Systems framework.
It constitutes a fundamental change of circumstances in respect to our Extradition Agreement with Hong Kong.
As a result, we have today taken steps to suspend our Extradition Agreement. We will continue to monitor developments in Hong Kong closely.
- Minister's office: (02) 6277 7500
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555