Australia Now ASEAN 2019
The Australian Government today launched its flagship public diplomacy program for 2019, Australia now, which celebrates Australian innovation and creativity in a priority market each year.
In 2019, Australia now is engaging and connecting youth audiences across Southeast Asia and will showcase the depth and breadth of Australia's relationships in the region.
The innovative 2019 program includes youth dialogues, food festivals, cultural and sporting events, and innovative technology forums to support collaboration and exchange between Australia and the 10 member nations of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
Australia now ASEAN 2019 highlights include:
- Adam Liaw, MasterChef Australia Winner 2010, will tour Southeast Asia to promote Australian contemporary cuisine
- The 2020 Flickerfest Short Film Competition will be extended to include entrants from across ASEAN, with the best short films from ASEAN filmmakers featuring as part of the program. The top three film makers will be flown to Sydney for the Flickerfest awards ceremony and professional development.
- A TEDx-style young-speakers series to provide a forum for youth to discuss issues that matter to them
- ASEAN-Australia Youth Forums for high-school students to work together to design solutions to common challenges and opportunities
This year's Australia now program is part of the Morrison Government's commitment to ensuring Australia remains a leading economic, development and strategic partner for Southeast Asia.
Last year's ASEAN-Australia Special Summit in Sydney confirmed Australia's steadfast commitment to ASEAN and the importance we place on working with our closest neighbours to realise a more secure and prosperous future
For more information on Australia now ASEAN 2019, visit www.celebrateaustralianow.com
- Minister's office: (02) 6277 7500
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555