29 September 1995
Senator Evans made the plea on the following grounds:
- the circumstances of the original detention;
- the duration of the detention;
- Mr Peng's treatment during detention, including his limited access to medical aid, to his family and to legal advisers;
- compassionate grounds based on the length of the sentence, and the suffering a long period in detention would impose on his young family; and
- the negative implications of the decision for Australians wanting to do business in China.
Under all the circumstances, Senator Evans said the most appropriate action was the immediate deportation of Mr Peng. While the Chinese Minister was unable to make any promises, Senator Evans said he had been assured that the appeal would be considered.